8.00 - 17.00
- Public Holidays
- Karusha Sooruth
AUDIOLOGIST AND SPEECH-LANGUAGE THERAPIST
BSHT(UDW), M.COMMUNICATION PATHOLOGY-AUDIOLOGY(UP)
Suite 204, St. Annes Medical Center, 331 Burger Street, Pietermaritzburg 3201
After graduating from UKZN, Farhana Khan worked as an Audiologist and Speech Therapist in the public and private sector in South Africa and the UAE in a career spanning 30 years.
She obtained her M.A. in Communication (Audiology) and conducted research in Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).
Ms. Khan’s current private practice in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa has a special APD focus; she evaluates children, many with Attention Deficit Disorder in collaboration with Educational Psychologists.
Specialties & Qualifications
Specialtiy: Auditory Processing Disorders
Farhana Khan has a special interest in the area of Auditory Processing Disorders.
She obtained her Masters degree with her dissertation foucssed on the area.
I was appointed by the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a member on the national task force for central auditory processing disorders, during 2000-2002. .
Specialtiy: Dysphagia Assessment and Management in paediatric and adult patients
Specialised in the area of dysphagia when she worked at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City in Abu Dhabi in the UAE.
In 2015 she Participated in the 21st International Advanced Nutrition Course FRANC Dysphagia 2015 at the Fresenius Conference Center in Bad Homburg, from 5-6 November 2015.
Education & Medical Training
- Speech –Language Pathologist and Audiologist
• Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Therapy, 1985-1988, University of Durban-Westville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Master of Communication Pathology
• 2006, University of Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
• Masters dissertation: Auditory Processing Disorders: Training of Speech-Language Therapists and Audiologists within the South African Context.
- Member of the Health Professions Council of South Africa .
- Member of the South African Association of Audiologists
Publications & Presentations
- Khan, F., Campbell, N., & Louw, B. (2007) Auditory Processing disorders: Training of speech-language therapists and audiologists within the South African context. The South African Journal of Communication Disorders.54, 77-89.
- 1999 Presented a paper on the Assessment of central auditory processing disorders at the National ENT/Audiology conference – Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- 2020 Poster Presentation entitled- Feasibility of APD Assessment Protocols in South Africans Who Are Bilingual: An Adolescent Case Study
was accepted for presentation as a Poster session at the AAA 2020 Convention AAA 2020 + HearTECH Expo, April 1-4 New Orleans.
The conference was unfortunately cancelled due to the Covid 19 pandemic